MAPECE, the acronym for the Association Professional of Early Childhood Educators, Malaysia, was established in September 2005. The establishment of this Association was to call upon the society in Malaysia to acknowledge the importance of early childhood education and to accord due recognition of those who perform the crucial task of laying the foundation of the child’s development. Neuroscientists have underscored what psychologists have known for a very long time – the importance of the early years of a person’s life. “The formative years” was coined by psychologists to describe these early years.
Secondly, the founding of this Association was to urge child care providers and preschool teachers to think of themselves as professionals and, as professionals they have to be knowledgeable, well trained, and effective, and to strive to improve themselves.
There is another need to set up a body to acknowledge the critical role of early childhood educators. Until today, many parents, members in society and even child care providers and preschool teachers consider care providers as child minders and preschool teachers as jobs for secondary school dropouts. Thus, they do require academic training and tertiary education is not for them in spite of repeated call of childhood advocates for diploma in early childhood education as the minimum qualification.
The watershed in the professionalism in early childhood education occurred in 1997 when the University of Malaya took the bold step to offer the Bachelor Degree in Early Childhood Education – the first of its kind in Malaysia. The climax of the pursuit for recognition of professionalism in early childhood education was reached in 2003 when the Ministry of Education agreed that graduates in early childhood education teaching Ministry of Education’s preschools be accorded graduate salary. This recognition spurred a group of early childhood advocates and early childhood education graduates came together to set up MAPECE.
The logo is designed to reflect that the child should be focus in any planning and provision for the young child’s development and education, and to depict that this can be achieved if parents, the government, early childhood educators and society are willing to work together for the well-being of the young child.
The logo, seen from the top view, comprises four adults holding hands to surround and protect two children in the centre.
Meaning of the Logo
The two children in the centre indicate that children are the focal interest of the Association. The four adults surrounding the children show early childhood educators, parents, society/community and the government working hand-in-hand for children’s well- being.
The colours of the logo
– White signifies children’s innocence and ignorance
– Pink denotes the warmth of the major players in the child’s environment, namely, early childhood educators, parents, society/community and the government.
– Blue symbolizes harmony and love.
The aim of MAPECE is enable children attain development to their full potential by promoting quality early child care and education through advocating for proper education, training and professionalism of childcare providers and preschool teachers.
The following objectives have been formulated to achieve this aim:
1) To recognize and upgrade the professionalism of early childhood educators through accepting only qualified and professionally trained early childhood educators as members of the Association.
2) To advocate for quality early childhood education and care through publications, workshops, seminars and conferences.
3) To advise parents and community on quality childhood education and the role of early childhood educators in child development through publication.
4) To act as a catalyst and coordinating body for parents, members of Association, government, non-government agencies and early childhood educators to communicate with each other, discuss issues pertaining to children’s development, care and education, and work with each other for the promotion of quality child care and education through hosting public forums.
5) To encourage and support research related to the development of early childhood education through publishing research findings and assisting researchers, teachers and students in early childhood education to source for funds.
6) To raise funds by way of donation from the public, sponsorship, grant, endowment and any other lawful methods subject to prior approval of Registrar of Society and other relevant authorities.
To achieve the objectives of MAPECE, the following Committees have been formed:
• Professional Training Committee
• Public Relation Committee
• Publication Committee
• Research Committee
• Membership Committee
1) To raise quality and professionalism of early childhood educators by organizing forums, courses and training workshops on new frontiers in early child care and education (ECCE), skills and issues pertaining to ECE.
2) To raise quality of early childhood educators by conducting courses and workshops in areas relating to their felt needs.
3) To promote professionalism among early childhood educators by sourcing and identifying international conferences, seminars or workshops that will benefit them professionally.
4) To organize workshops, seminars and conferences to raise awareness pf parents and the public on the issues related quality early childhood education and professionalism of early childhood educators.
1) To make public statements on matter concerning children and early childhood education.
2) To liaise with ministries, government department, governmental agencies, institutes of higher learning and non-government agencies that pertain to children’s development, education and general wellbeing.
3) To form strategic partnership with parents, educationalists, ministries, government departments, governmental agencies, non-government agencies and institutes of learning for the promotion of professionalism of early child care, development and education.
4) To form strategic partnership with parents, educationalists, Ministries, government departments, governmental agencies, non-government agencies and institutes of learning for the promotion of quality early childhood education.
5) To work with the corporate sector for the promotion of professionalism of early childhood educators and quality early childhood education
Others are appointed whenever the need arises and when certain issues need to be addressed
1) To establish a database for promoting professionalism of early childhood educators by establishing a database of:
Professional early childhood educators in Malaysia;
Professional training institutions of early child care and development
Professionals for referrals
2) To carry out research in children’s development, early childhood education and professionalism of early childhood educators.
3) To encourage research in children’s development, early childhood education and professionalism of early childhood educators.
4) To sponsor research in children’s development, early childhood education and professionalism of early childhood educators.
1) To produce MAPECE newsletter.
2) To publish proceedings of conferences and other activities of MAPECE.
1) To recruit members for MAPECE